Libhttpd.ep and ispell

Brad Hazledine brad.hazledine@caledoncard.com
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:21:43 -0500 (EST)

Hi there...

We are running Imp 3 and Horde 2 and have managed to get everything
working quite well except for the spellchecking.

When checking a long message or reply, libhttpd gobbles up all of the ram
and swap (the machine has 256mb ram and 300mb swap) as well as a good
percentage of the cpu.

Everything hangs at this point and libhttpd has to be killed manually.
Once it is killed, ispell will take up to 99% of the cpu and sit there for
hours until it is manually killed.

We have saved the email to a file and ran it through ispell from the
command line with no problem, however, when we feed it through
spelling.php the above behavior occurs. We piped it to a test.out file and
found that it was passing the entire message through on a one line string.

I tried the same string through ispell on my desktop and it virtually
froze my machine.

We are running Slackware 8, php 4.1.1 and apache 1.3.20.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Brad Hazledine <brad.hazledine@caledoncard.com>