session timeout email loss without warning to the user.

Kris von Mach dev@swishmail.com
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 17:48:12 -0500

Hello,

All the problems we have seen seem to be related to session timeouts.  This
is generally a feature that we greatly appreciate, as it improves the
security of web mail.  However, we have lost several emails we were
composing, apparently due to the poor handling of session timeouts.  In each
case, the "Message Composition" window was closed immediately following a
click of "Spell Check" or "Save Draft", and we were entirely unable to
recover the text.

In these cases, a session timeout message is not displayed until the user
clicks somewhere in the main web mail window (i.e. outside of the "Message
Composition").

I regard this as a severe issue.  The user has every reason to believe their
message will be preserved when it is unexpectedly deleted.

As a work around I have increased session.gc_maxlifetime but I still feel
the user should be some how notified that the email they have just composed
was lost. It's one thing it gets lost, it's an entirely different if it's
lost and the user doesn't know it was lost.

I am neither ranting nor complaining. I am just saying how it is. And if
you must ask, no I do not have patches :P...

__
Kris.