[imp] Login oddities

Rick Stevens rstevens@vitalstream.com
Mon, 04 Mar 2002 10:44:15 -0800

Jan Schneider wrote:
> Zitat von Rick Stevens <rstevens@vitalstream.com>:
>

>>I've been virtualizing IMP 3.0 and have found something of an odd
>>behaviour.
>>
>>When using the Horde login screen with IMP/IMAP authentication and
>>Mozilla 0.9.8 on Linux, if you put in a user name, <TAB> password,
>><RETURN>, login is successful (according to the log), but you get
>>sent back to the login screen with a "login failed" message.  If you
>>put in a user name, <TAB>, password, then click the "Log In" button,
>>all works properly.  I've checked the $imp['user'] variable and the
>>password stuff and it all looks clean to me.  Any idea why this
>>behaviour is happening?  Is there a difference between pressing the
>><RETURN> key and clicking the "Log In" button?
>>

> I can't reproduce this here.

The behaviour is solid as a rock here.  Happens every time.  Now, I
did have to modify two items.  In imp/config/conf.php, I used the
imp_get_vinfo function and had to modify it slightly as our IMAP
servers use "username@domain.com" as the username to validate.

Because I have about 12,000 mail domains and rely on our DNS system
to point them all at the three load-balanced IMP servers, I also had
to modify horde/config/registry.php so that the applications "horde"
array used HTTP_HOST rather than SERVER_NAME for the "server_name"
entry.  I have to rely on the host headers, not the reverse DNS IP
lookup of the servers.  I might suggest that this change be made
permanently, or at least something be mentioned in the FAQ about it.

I can't see how these changes would affect the login process.  I can
only say that V6.x Netscape and Mozilla browsers exhibit this problem.
It may be the way they handle Javascript, in that pressing the RETURN
key may leave crumbs in the the input queue and clicking the login
button doesn't.  I don't know, but it's rather disconcerting.

- Rick Stevens, SSE, VitalStream, Inc.      rstevens@vitalstream.com -
- 949-743-2010 (Voice)                    http://www.vitalstream.com -
- grasshopotomaus: A creature that can leap to tremendous heights... -
-                                                ...once.            -