[imp] imp 3.0 - attachments problem - 0x0a being prepended

Scott Kearney skearney@fas.harvard.edu
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 18:00:29 -0500 (EST)

I just realized that all screens I can browse in our IMP installation have
linefeeds prepended to them. Since they are all HTML, they work, and I
hadn't noticed. Images DO show up in these pages, so I don't think it is a
web server issue, as the client side GETs on the images succeeds.

I looked into it a bit, and finally figured out that it was due to a few
stray linefeeds at the bottom of horde's registry.php! I edit with emacs,
so I probably hit 'down' one too many times and saved it. Anyway, that's
one fix that was easy enough. Now I can download un-messed up images in
netscape.

However, IE still has the same problems. Still the same "the site is
either unavailable or cannot be found" error. And neither browser can
view the attachments using the filename (as opposed to the diskette icon).
Netscape gives a "The document contained no data" error, and IE just pulls
up a blank window.

I removed the changes I had made based on the following post:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=imp&m=101285159129814&w=2
--
Scott Kearney
Web Developer

Email: skearney@fas.harvard.edu
Phone: 617-384-7201
Fax:   617-495-1210

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Scott Kearney wrote:
> I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem with attachments on IMP 3.0
> running on Horde 2.0 framework. Turba 1.0 is also configured. IE is having
> more problems than Netscape, in that IE cannot save any attachments and NS
> can save any of them.. However, neither browser can "view" the
> attachments, and the files that Netscape is able to save are "corrupted"
> by having linefeeds prepended to them. I'll try to run down what I've
> tried, excuse my redundancies.
>
> Other variables:
>  - IMAP server is uwash 4.4 (non-ssl)
>  - apache 1.3.12 w/Raven SSL
>  - php 4.1.1
>
> imapd and Apache are on the same box. The box is running Digital Unix 4.0f
> (OSF1).

[snip]

> The "error" I'm getting with IE is a dialog box that pops up over the file
> transfer box stating:
>
> "Internet Explorer cannot download <filename> from <server.name.edu>.
>
> Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested
> site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again."
>
> Using netscape, I've downloaded and compared the email attachments with
> the original files. The html file appears to have had two linefeeds or
> carriage returns inserted at the top of it.
>
> When I try to use "display" on the command line to view one of the images,
> I get the following error:
> "display: Not a JPEG file: starts with 0x0a 0x0a (sheepcherokee04b.jpg)."
>
> Note that original image (the one I emailed myself) displays fine.
>
> So it looks to me like IMP is inserted some extra linefeeds to the front
> of all attachments! Sadly, I don't know how to fix it. The only
> modification I have made to IMP was following the instructions somebody
> posted to make a mime viewer for images. Here is the URL for that message
> on MARC:
[snip]