[imp] IMP says "there is an error sending your message"

Jim Nikolich jnikolic@oasis-technology.com
Thu, 14 Mar 2002 17:10:37 -0500

Hi, Laura;

I had the same problem when I upgraded from a release-candidate version of
IMP (on a linux 2.4 box) to IMP 3.0 on a Solaris 2.8 box.
When I turned on Horde logging, I found that I was getting an error message
similar to the following:

Mar 10 21:29:13 HORDE [error] [imp] sendmail [/usr/sbin/sendmail] not
executable [on line 787 of
"/usr/local/websites/www.compeuphoria.com/horde/imp/com
pose.php"]

When I migrated from the Linux box to the Solaris box, I used my existing
configuration.  Unfortunately it turned out that my sendmail executable was
located in a different sub-directory.  Since I run Postfix, I ended up
switching completely away from the "sendmail" method of sending mail to the
"smtp" method.  It worked for me.  You might find that simply tweaking the
specified location of sendmail in your "horde.php" will do the trick;
perhaps switching to the "smtp" method will also work.

All of these settings are located in the same file:
"horde/config/horde.php".  The setting I have found works for me are shown
below.

Let me know if this helps!

Regards,

Jim
James Nikolich                        Phone:  1.416.228.8001   ext. 2153
Director, Development                   Fax:  1.416.228.8033
Oasis Technology Ltd.                 Email:  jnikolic@oasis-technology.com
90 Sheppard Ave. East, Suite 100        WWW:  www.oasis-technology.com/
Toronto, Ontario  M2N 7B3  CANADA

LOGGING
-------
/**
 ** Horde Logging
 **/

/* Should Horde log errors and other useful information? */
$conf['log']['enabled'] = true;

/* What log driver should we use? Valid values are 'file', 'mcal',
 * 'sql', and 'syslog'.
 */
$conf['log']['type'] = 'file';

/* What is the name of the log? For the 'file' driver, this is the
 * path to a text file; for mcal, it would be the name of a calendar,
 * and for sql it would be the table name to use. For the 'syslog'
 * driver it is the facility as a _constant_ (with no quotes), e.g.:
 * ... = LOG_LOCAL0;
 */
$conf['log']['name'] = '/var/log/horde.log';

/* What level of messages should we log? The values are LOG_EMERG,
 * LOG_ALERT, LOG_CRIT, LOG_ERR, LOG_WARNING, LOG_NOTICE, LOG_INFO,
 * and LOG_DEBUG. Each level logs itself and all those that come
 * before it: LOG_ALERT would only log alerts and emergencies, but
 * LOG_DEBUG would log everything.
 */
$conf['log']['priority'] = LOG_DEBUG;

/* What identifier should we use in the logs? */
$conf['log']['ident'] = 'HORDE';

/* Any additonal configuration information, like an MCAL or database
 * username and password.
 */
$conf['log']['params'] = array();

SENDING MAIL
------------
/**
 ** Mailer
 **/

/* What method should we use for sending mail? Valid options are
 * currently 'sendmail' and 'smtp'.
 */
//$conf['mailer']['type'] = 'sendmail';
$conf['mailer']['type'] = 'smtp';

/* An array holding any parameters that the Mail object will need to
 * function correctly. For sendmail, this is mainly the sendmail_path
 * option; SMTP requires at least a server and a port (if nonstandard).
 */
$conf['mailer']['params'] = array();
// $conf['mailer']['params'] = array('sendmail_path' =>
'/usr/lib/sendmail');
$conf['mailer']['params'] = array('server' => 'localhost');