IMP connects twice to POP server

Carlton Thomas carlton@gifford.co.uk
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 10:23:45 +0000 (GMT/BST)

I have just installed the latest version of IMP and Horde on a
RedHat 7.2 box. The install went smoothly (following the guide
in TNSTALL), however, when trying to access a mailbox on the
POP3 server, IMP returns the message:-

  "Login failed for some reason. Most likely your username
  or password was entered incorrectly"

I looked at the log file and found two entries which contained
the following:-

   ....HORDE [notice] [imp] Login success for....
   ....HORDE [error] [imp] FAILED LOGIN....

I then looked at the POP3 server's logs and noticed that there
was an entry which indicates that there was a successful connection
and immediately after that, literally within the same second,
another entry which indicates that the mailbox was being accessed
while it was still locked, ie. the first session was still in
progress. This happened on a mailbox containing approximately
20 messages with a total size of approximately 2 megabytes.
I then tried to access an empty mailbox, and, everything was fine.

My first question: Why does IMP connect twice to the POP3 server
in such quick succession when attempting to authenticate the user?

My second question: Is there a configuration option that I can use
to either stop the multiple connection or to modify the duration
between the connections, allowing the POP3 server enough time to
access the mailbox and remove the lock.

I did look in the FAQ and searched the mailing list for the answer
to my problem, but could not find any relevant information. I did
try the "cookie_base" fix, but that did not help.

I had the same problems with IMP-3.0/horde-2.0 combination and
imp-3.1-RC1/horde-2.1-RC1 combination.

Thanks for your help guys.

Regards !

--