[imp] how to get IMP to STARTTLS

Curtis Doty Curtis@GreenKey.net
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 20:07:38 -0800

>> Actually I want STARTTLS...which is different from imaps
>(imap over ssl
>> tunnel).
>
>You may be right and I may be missing a piece of information. First,
>though, have you tried using port 993? I know it's the
>imap/ssl port, but
>I'm pretty sure that that and the imap/ssl protocol handles
>TLS connection.

Yes, the imap daemon also is listening on 993 where it doesn't require
the STARTTLS and the entire session is encrypted.

But I have two problems: a) I only need to secure the login b) I can't
get :995/imap/ssl to work in IMP either. :( It produces yet a different
symptom. SYN SYN-ACK ACK hang

I went cross-eyed fuddling with this yesterday, so I imagine the source
of that second problem is PEBKAC. ;)

I'm not trying to be a pain here. I'm having fun hacking and would like
to get horde/imp working with these business requirements. .. System is
strictly RPM-based and I've triple-checked the dependencies. It used to
run an ancient version of horde happily.

../C