Horde / IMP officially deployed at UMICH.EDU

Liam Hoekenga liamr@umich.edu
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 13:28:03 -0500 (EST)

Chuck, Jon, et al..

We wanted to let you and your team know that, thanks in large part
to the tremendous responsiveness of the IMP community, we have
officially deployed Horde 2.0/IMP 3.0 at the University of Michigan
at http://mail.umich.edu/.

Horde/IMP replaces a year-long pilot of the Cyrusoft Silkymail
product.  Silkymail was largely well received, serving, at one
point, 13,000 unique users in a month, but not nearly so well
received as IMP 3.0 has been.

We put IMP into production two months ago (January 12th) and have
since, with no advertisement of any kind, seen 15,000 unique users.
We saw 7500 users within the first two weeks alone. Usage numbers
are growing steadily every day and word of mouth has been
overwhelmingly positive.

We conducted our first internal training of helpdesk staff today
and the reaction of the consultants to IMP can only be described
as jubilant and enthusiastic.  We expect, with advertisement of
this service to campus beginning shortly, to see 25 to 30,000 of
the University's 45,000+ users start taking advantage of our IMP
installation.

Our doc writers wrote documentation for using our service,
mail.umich.edu, which are largely applicable to IMP as a whole.
They can be found at:

	http://www.itd.umich.edu/itddoc/s/s4297/

Our IMP/Horde installation is currently located on 4 440mhz
UltraSparc IIi machines ( 1 gigabyte of RAM and 18 gigabytes of
10k internal disk each ) from the OEM, Craig Warner International
( CWI ).

Our database server is currently an identically configured UltraSparc
IIi box running Oracle 8.1.x (data stored on a Sun A1000 hardware
raid).  We authenticate via krb4 to servers running UW IMAP.

Many thanks to you and your team for providing such a fantastic
example of what open source software can do.

Liam Hoekenga
UM Webmaster Team