[imp] How to get from IMP 2.2.7 to 3.0 without loosing mail...

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 09:27:44 -0600 (CST)

Hello Sean:  From your description, it looks like you are using RPMs, and
it's true that the 2.2.x and 3.0 RPMs can't coexist, nor can you just "rpm
-U" upgrade them and have everything working.  It will take a bit of
manual configuration.

There is no automated conversion process to change your 2.2.x config file
settings into 3.0 config files; you'll have to do that by hand.  However:

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, imp@Lentner.com <imp@Lentner.com> wrote:

> What if I just wanted to dump the data from the mySQL dB? and reinstall
> the box, do they have a script for that?

There are scripts on the Horde web site (in the contrib section) that you
can use to convert your users' preferences and contact lists to the new
database format used with IMP 3.0.  You shouldn't need to "reinstall the
box"; you will need PHP 4, but Red Hat, Apache, etc. shouldn't need to be
touched.  If I were you, I would use a second box to figure out the whole
process before you attempt it on your production machine.

> Also my mail is local to the server where does it all reside?

Well, IMP uses IMAP, so your mail server must have an IMAP server running.
That part doesn't need to change, as others have said.

> > > Red Hat 7.2 (2.4.9-31)
> > > apache-1.3.22-2
> > > mysql-3.23.41-1
> > > horde-1.2.7-1rh7
> > > imp-2.2.7-1rh7

If you want to keep using RPMs, make sure you read the RPM README file,
which will tell you exactly which prerequisite RPMs Horde/IMP/Turba need.

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn@horde.org> N0BJN / OPN: #horde