Usability testing IMP3

Henry Blackman h.blackman@chester.ac.uk
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 01:13:18 +0100

Hello.

I'm in the process of rolling out IMP 3.1 at Chester College of HE in
the UK.  As such we've been performing some usability testing of IMP
(using RC 1).  We've come up with a few things  that developers may want
to address.  I thought I should share them with the group - hope that's
OK and that it's taken in good humour.

The first issue was the most noticed.  In the Compose window of IMP
there is an icon - Attachment - which right now scrolls the user down to
the attachment section of the window.  As default though the window is
big enough to show that section and as such doesn't appear to actually
do anything.  We found that more than 70% of our users actually
complained in the testing scenario that they "couldn't do attachments"
or "how do I get attachments to work".  They preferred the way IMP 2
worked, with the attachments section above the body of the message.

Users were confused with the "Expand Names" feature in the compose
window.  Around 40% noticed the icon, but didn't know what it did at all
and after it was explained found it's presence confusing especially with
"Addressbook" icon being right next to it.  60% of users just didn't
even notice the icon, but when pressed couldn't imagine what it would do.

We received a couple of complaints regarding the font in the message
window.  It's monospaced (class: fixed) and that caused some of them
problems reading it.  They were older users, and had strong spectacles
on.  We changed it to Arial in html.php, but that caused the message
textarea in the Compose window to be too thin and right aligned (ie:
looking daft).  We thought it might be useful to actually specify
classes based on the use of an object, rather than what it looks like by
default.  So in this case calling the class "compose_message_box" rather
than "fixed" or something similar.  I haven't found any other places
where this might be useful to do... and I realise it can be easily done
in our own installation, but it might be useful to be specified by
default.

Other features that were requested was a "Filter Messages" icon/link on
the message list window... we didn't want to set up filtering on every
window refresh/reload because of the extra load on the server (we have a
lot of users) but users agreed manual filtering was useful as many of
them stay signed in all day.

Another feature was to bring back a pop-up for new message alert whilst
in a message view.  20% of users noticed this functionality was missing
from version 3 over version 2, and while when asked all appreciated the
cleaner and more functional interface a non-frames version brought, they
felt a pop-up appearing no matter what screen they were viewing was a
useful feature.

The last two features that users requested were distribution lists (100%
of users requested that one!) and read receipts being sent as well as
being requested.  Many of our users are converted Pegasus users and they
all love those features.

I should note that all the users testing IMP 3 used only IMP 2 for their
email provision in the College, and are well versed in web mail.  Every
user had a positive comment the moment they were presented with the
message list screen after signing in; and every single user commented
(without being asked) that IMP 3 is a dramatic improvement and were all
very excited to finally move over which is happening here on May 1st.
We'll have nearly 12,000 users on IMP 3.1.

Cheers,
Henry