[imp] Patch for PHP --with-imap-ssl

Sat, 13 Apr 2002 11:21:05 -0500

Quoting Fritz Zaucker <zaucker@ee.ethz.ch>:

> > This depends on the implementation of php, or more exactly on the
> c-client
> > implemented in the php, and on the server being connected to.
>
> It can't really depend on the server being connected to, I believe.

Sure it can.

> php/c-client doesn't know beforehand what the server being connected is or
> does. If php/c-client tries imap/ssl then the ssl-connection is done first
> and because it never succeeds it won't be able to get any further info from
> the server.

True, for imap/ssl, but not for imap/tsl.  It connects like any other
imap connection, sees if the server supports starttsl, and switches to
it or not depending on if php supports starttsl and if the server supports
starttsl.  So it certainly depends on both the client in php (support for
tsl) and the server imap program (supports/advertises starttsl).

> As long as imap/notls works with non-ssl imapd servers (and as Jan said he
> tried it, as did I) this would be a save option.

Safe yes, needed, maybe not.  Would make life easier for some, so can't
complain about it being changed.  I suppose fewer questions/problems for
people is a Good Thing. ;)

--
Eric Rostetter
eric.rostetter@physics.utexas.edu

Hey Rocky!  Watch me pull a rabbit from my hat!