[imp] imp 3.0 - unnecessary javascript dependencies

Marcus I. Ryan marcus@riboflavin.net
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:48:14 -0500

The other question I always ask and never have answered is what browser
and speech software are these users using?  With the proper speech
software (Jaws, for one), IE is quite usable by blind users.

I won't promise time frames, etc., but I will note that my mother is
blind, and will eventually try to use my Horde/IMP setup.  When that
happens I may start working on code fixes so she can work with it
comfortably, but she uses IE and has javascript enabled, so I will not
be working on removing javascript, unless it's absolutely 100%
necessary; I will be working on making displays more readable.  Anything
she can use with IE and Jaws I will ignore.

On a personal note, I have to admit my mom and I are spoiled as far as
computing needs go; Iowa is the best place in the world to be blind.
The technology support, among other services, from the Iowa Department
for the Blind is phenominal.  Because of that she has much of the latest
technology for the blind, making it hard to relate to people using far
outdated technology.

As long as all images have ALT tags, which is required by xhtml anyway,
and we don't use a lot of graphical tricks to "pretty things up" modern
speech software and IE should work fine, javascript and all.