[imp] Ooomph for IMP

Kevin Myers km@gcom.co.th
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 20:03:32 +0700

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002 13:50:10 +0100, Henry wrote:

>Just out of interest I run a service for about 330 staff here, about =
20-30%
>of them are logged in all day and have their mailbox checked every 15
>minutes.  The average mailbox is several Mbs, although users tend only =
>have one or two of them.
>
>The machine is a P3-850 running FreeBSD 4.5, 512Mb RAM, IDE hard disks =
with
>a 100Mb ethernet card.  Certainly nothing to be proud of but it copes =
(very
>well) running qmail for all outgoing mail, and all incoming mail for =
that
>server and delivering using mail to mbox folders and UW IMAP.  Apache, =
and
>MySQL are all on the machine too.
>
>I'm sure many sys admins would throw their arms up in horror, but it =
works,
>and works well.  Benchmarking the server showed it was only slighly =
slower
>in practice than a dual-P3 1Ghz 1Gb RAM, dual SCSI disks with apache and
>Mysql local.

If sysadmins are going to start throwing their hands up about your config,
I'm not going to go into any more detail about mine! Suffice to say that the
machine that is doing all our mail, virus-checking, and IMP too, now, is a
throwaway that cost us nothing and was being discarded as too slow to run
Windows!