[imp] Re: Ooomph for IMP

Ema Nymton e_nymton@hotmail.com
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 15:23:24 +0200

I do not know if this is interesting for the [IMP] list but comparing
configurations supporting the Horde system could be a good thing. In my
case, I have a PIII-600 with 256 MB of RAM using 18 GB of U2-160 SCSI hard
drive in RAID1 on a Linux Mandrake 8.1 (2.4.12). Concurrent Horde Users is
about 10 or 15 with 500 MB minimum mailboxes. Role of the system is multiple
:

1. Firewalling (IPTables for 3 network interface cards)
2. DHCP serving about 100 windows stations (I know DHCP does not use CPU
well, but it has to be noticed)
3. Horde/IMP/Turba/Kronolith/Gollem/Nag/Troll sub-system using a local MySQL
database and a local Apache server
4. Using Interscan VirusWall for virus-gateway for SMTP
5. Talking to an Exchange 2000 for LDAP/IMAP.
6. Some admin stuff (snmp/mrtg/...)

CPU never goes over 10% of utilization, and disk performance is quite good
because of Ultra2-SCSI. I suppose if I had a P200 with the same disk
sub-system and 512 MB of RAM performances would be the same.

In a Horde environment it is not the CPU that is essential, it is the
database and mail sotrage support ...