[imp] Ooomph for IMP

Ramon Kagan rkagan@YorkU.CA
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:41:40 -0400 (EDT)

HI,

I've been able to run 400 users on a PIII 500 with 256 Mb of RAM will
response times of 5 sec or less.  The machine was running imap, junkfilter
and otherwise.

As for our official setup.  We have 40000 users, 10000 logins per day,
inboxes up to 900 MB running on 3 x Dual PIII866 with 1.5 GB memory.  This
will be increased by adding two Dual PIII 1.3 GHz with 2 GB in the near
future, since our user base will increase to 50000 and logins should
increase to 15000.  In all of this we still maintain an average response
time of less than 4.5 sec and usually in the 3.5 to 3.8 range.  Overall
our servers are completing between 500000 and 800000 requests per day.

I would look at your usage and base that on my two setups above.  Figure
out where you fit in this category to determine your needs.

Ramon Kagan
York University, Computing and Network Services
Unix Team -  Intermediate System Administrator
(416)736-2100 #20263
rkagan@yorku.ca