[imp] Date format

Richard Gilbert R.Gilbert@sheffield.ac.uk
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 15:16:26 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

> > It works fine here though there have been several issues reported with
> > the British English date formats by some users. Make sure that you
> > have an en_GB locale installed on your system.
>
> I do have the en_GB locale on my system, and it does specify dates in
> the format DD/MM/YY, but if you look at the demo site with GB english it
> also shows the dates the wrong way around.  I've tried French on the
> demo site (demo.horde.org I mean), and Spanish on the demo site with two
> different IMAP servers one in the US, one in the UK and IMP always shows
> the date in the format MM/DD/YY which to anyone outside the USA is aware
> is pretty meaningless.
>
> Have I done something wrong?  I've tried with both IE and with Mozilla
> (1.0 RC1) just in case it was something with the browser but get the
> same result. Am I right in thinking that selecting a different language
> either from the login page, or from the options will automatically
> change the date format without any other setting being involved?

Have you solved your problem?

I found this all rather confusing.  There were en_US files in horde/locale
and horde/imp/locale but no en_GB files.  As the en_US files are binary
files I didn't know how to create the equivalent en_GB files so I had been
running with en_US in lang.php, and the dates were appearing, not
surprisingly, in US format.

I hoped that if I could run with en_GB configured the date problem would
get sorted by the undelying OS files.  I created en_GB as a symbolic link
to en_US in both the locale directories and then edited lang.php as
follows:

gambit# diff lang.php.dist lang.php
14c14
< $nls['defaults']['language'] = 'en_US';
---
> $nls['defaults']['language'] = 'en_GB';
28a29
> $nls['languages']['en_GB'] = 'English';
58c59
< $nls['aliases']['en'] = 'en_US';
---
> $nls['aliases']['en'] = 'en_GB';
79a81
> $nls['spelling']['en_GB'] = '-d english';

Now my dates are in European format.

Richard
--
Richard Gilbert
Corporate Information and Computing Services