[imp] Ooomph for IMP

Walter R. Moore moorewr@eckerd.edu
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 13:19:11 -0400

We use UW-IMAP, and our speed seems to be fine all-around. We have
around 4000 users, of which perhaps 500 are "power" users. With the
exception of a small session problem (see my previous email), everyone
loves IMP!

Our web server for IMP is a dual-purpose Postgres and IMP server, a
pentium III 866 with 512mb ram running Redhat 7.2, and it is usually
 >90% idle.

Our mail server is a Sun 220R with one cpu and a gig of memory. We have
our mail spool on a hardware mirror, and this does get bogged down in IO
now and then, but IMAP itself is very responsive. I suggest you look at
your IO load on the mail server to explain your slow times. Also, if you
still use IMP 2.x, I did note that a small % of your database hits for
preferences and session would be extremely slow.

-Walter Moore
  Eckerd College

Simon Matthews wrote:
> Can I ask if those who are happy with IMP's speed are using Maildir
> mailboxes and those who feel it is too slow are using "Unix style"
> mailbox files?
>
> My personal opinion is that the speed to open up the inbox the first
> time is acceptable, but the speed to open an email or go back to the
> inbox is rather poor. We use UW-IMAP. Our IMAP server is on another
> machine, but it is rather underpowered.
>
> Simon
>
> At 03:34 PM 4/25/02 +0100, Henry Blackman wrote:
>
>> Indeed, I didn't mention I use PHP accelerator.  I find, on our IMP
>> webserver, it doesn't make a dramatic difference, but it is noticable
>> (just).  I do find it very useful on our corporate Intranet; it makes a
>> difference of about 800%.  Great stuff.
>>
>> Henry

Walter R. Moore --  System Administrator, Eckerd College
moorewr@eckerd.edu --  http://home.eckerd.edu/~moorewr

"It was glorious to see -- if your heart were iron,
And you could keep from grieving at all the pain" - The Iliad (13.355)