[imp] PGP and S/MIME

Jan Schneider jan@horde.org
Tue, 7 May 2002 23:59:18 +0200

Zitat von Andreas Dahlén <andreas@dahlen.ws>:

> * Use of external program or internal function calls.
> I'm thinking of using external call to openssl, as PGP calls gpg.
> The openssl-functions in PHP could be used, but since thay are
> experimental I don't think that a good idea. Comments?

I'd use the PHP extension. It might still be marked as experimental but is
already for some time in the PHP tree. And S/MIME support in IMP will be
experimental too for a while, won't it? ;-)

> * Compose Screen
> To implement S/MIME there are two choices (at least);
> - Two sections "PGP Options" and "S/MIME Options" with buttons for
> sending signed and/or encrypted messages.
> - One section "Encryption" with radiobuttons for "PGP
> encrypt", "PGP Sign", "PGP Encrypt/Sign", "S/MIME Sign", "S/MIME
> Encrypt" and "S/MIME Encrypt/Sign". The message would then be sent
> with the ordinary "Send Message"-button.
> I would prefer the latter one. Comments/Suggestions?

Another possibility would be to let the user decide in his preferences if
he wants to use PGP or S/MIME. If we could make the more flexible way you
proposed work without cluttering the UI too much - great!

Jan.