[imp] Issues with PGP support in IMP

Iain iain@minihub.org
Fri, 10 May 2002 09:47:57 +1000

Hi,

I am sorry if this has been raised before but I couldn't find much discussion
in the archives.

>From what I can see the implementation of PGP support in IMP stores private
keys on a server. Now, every piece of documentation I have ever read on PGP
says that this is a bad idea and is not how PGP should be used.

Is there support for using private keys stored on a floppy or some other
removable media? It would seem to me that doing this properly becomes
extremely non trivial as it would mean a Java applet with the encryption
algorithms built in. Something along the lines of hushmail - although I think
that still stores the keys in a central database.

Don't get me wrong. I think it is great that someone has gone to the effort
of writing this stuff but my concern is that it encourages people to use PGP
in the wrong way and fall into a false sense of security about how secure
their messages are.

cheers, Iain.
--
public key available at http://www.minihub.org/~iain/iain.asc