[imp] Different (I think) comma address problem... and solution

Matthew J. Paschke, SJ mjp@jesuits.net
Sun, 12 May 2002 10:51:04 -0400

Hello,

A lot of my IMP users have names with commas in them -- like George
Jones, PhD.  Users were having a problem when they used Turba and the
Addressbook popup.  Whenever they added one of these comma names to
their message, they would get bounce messages back from the SMTP server
because "George Jones" was being treated as one outgoing address and
"PhD <blah@blah>" was being treated as the other.  To fix this, I
changed templates/contacts/javascript.inc as follows:

Change line 101 from:

address = fullname + " <" + address.substring(pos + 1, address\.length)
+ ">";

to:

address = "\"" + fullname + "\" <" + address.substring(pos + 1,
address\.length) + ">";

The extra quotes around the address seem to do the trick.

I don't know if others have had this problem, but I thought my
experience might be helpful.

Thanks,
Matt