Fwd: Re: [imp] Problem w/ PHP 4.2.1, IMP 3.0, Log.php

Jon Parise jon@horde.org
Fri, 17 May 2002 19:34:16 -0400

> The one problem with the instructions (I used these just this morning.
> :) regarding PEAR is that it assumes that you also have the PHP binary
> installed, while the rest of the instructions show how to install PHP as
> an apache module.
>
> When installed as a module, you really do not have a /usr/bin/php
> binary, and, hence, cannot run "pear" which is simply a php script with
> "#!/usr/bin/php" as the first line.. :(

I believe PHP 4.2.0 and later also build the php command line binary,
but I may be incorrect about that.  The HEAD php tree definitely
includes that functionality, though.

> I simply grabbed the necessary PEAR module(s), untar-gz'ed them, and
> placed them in their appropriate locations (I looked at package.xml just
> to make sure I was placing them in the proper locations).  Not sure if
> that is a good thing, but it worked at the time..

At this point, that's pretty much all the pear install tools do
anyway, so it's a safe course of action (although not something I
would recommend canonically).

--
Jon Parise (jon@csh.rit.edu)  .  Information Technology (2001)