[imp] forword mail problems.

Michael M Slusarz slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu
Sun, 19 May 2002 23:06:01 -0600

Quoting Pradit Wattanasuwan <pradit@tubtim.cri.or.th>:

| The attachment parts in message/rfc822 wasn't attached in mail, when I
| clicked
| to forward.
| Example:
| Part(s) 2 message/rfc822
|         2.1 abc.jpg
|         2.2 abc.txt
| After I clicked forward button and looked up the attachment(under browse
| button), it didn't show abc.jpg and abc.txt.
|
| Why?

This is correct behavior.  2.1 and 2.2 are subparts of MIME Part 2.
Attaching them separate would mean the information for each part would be
attached twice (once in the message/rfc822 part and once in the other
part).  Duplication of information is normally not a good thing.

Thus, we just send the entire part and trust that the receiving mail agent
is MIME compliant and can figure out that abc.txt and abc.jpg are in the
digested message.

Just a note - forwarding multipart messages does not always seem to work
correctly - I am looking into this (I believe it has something to do with
missing MIME boundaries).

michael

Michael Slusarz [slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu]
The University of Colorado at Boulder