[imp] IMP as an open relay

Paul Reilly pareilly@tcd.ie
Mon, 27 May 2002 18:39:48 +0100 (IST)

> You seemd to have missed the "SMTP server authentication details" bit.

I've been following this thread and see your point.
However most SMTP servers are the non-authenticating type, so Chuck/Jan
etc are correct in saying this would not work with 90% of cases. I'm
sure as time progresses more and more SMTP servers will require
authentication, in which case having this functionality in IMP
would be good. Even just in servers.php for the admin to configure,
and an optional "allow user to change smtp server name/type" for display
to the user. However I'd suggest people just use a hardcoded list of
servers, so you can only authenticate against known IMAP servers.
This would be the case in the majority of IMP deployments I would think.

Paul