[imp] Pop3 support

Carlton Thomas carlton@gifford.co.uk
Thu, 30 May 2002 02:47:50 +0100 (GMT/BST)

On Wed, 29 May 2002, Ramon Kagan wrote:

> I think you need to read how pop3 works, because that's exactly how it's
> supposed to work.
>
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1939.txt
>
> Ramon Kagan

Hmmmmmmmm!

Not a very helpful answer. I am not sure whether you are saying that
a pop3 server will allow you to retrieve only headers, like the original
poster was asking, or whether you can only get the whole message.

Most pop3 servers provide the TOP command. Syntax is something like:-

    TOP <messageID> <number-of-lines>

When the TOP command is used, the pop3 server will respond with the
full message header followed by the number of lines requested from
the message body. So, "TOP 0 0" will give you only the header for
message "0".

It is true that not all pop3 servers understand the TOP command,
however, I have not come across one that does not and I have used
a few in my time.

Regards !

--
Carlton