[imp] Question about fetchmail (HEAD)

Mon, 3 Jun 2002 16:04:05 -0500

Quoting Jan Kuipers <jrkuipers@lauwerscollege.nl>:

> Should the "fetch only new messages" function work? Because it doesn't here.
> It keeps getting all messages on my POP server(s). If this is still worked
> worked  upon, ignore this message :)

I believe it only works with IMAP, no POP3.  POP3 has no "new/old" flag
like IMAP, so there is no easy way to tell if you've seen the message
or not.  Best way to solve this with pop3 is to delete them as you fetch
them, thus assuring you won't fetch them again ;)

If the author wanted, he could try to add UIDL support to implement this, but
that is not a trivial effort, and I'd not recommend it as being worth
the effort, if even possible.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage