[imp] IMP LDAP warnings

Jon Parise jon@horde.org
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 14:56:22 -0400

On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 11:36:49AM -0700, Per Bothner wrote:

> Jon Parise wrote:
> >Check you slapd logs.
>
> I don't know what the "slapd logs" are.  /var/log/messages
> just contains:

Those would be the logs generated by slapd.  You may need to configure
slapd to direct them to a more common location.

> If I was qualified to improve the Horde/IMP documentation, I wouldn't
> be asking these questions.  I've written a good chunk of documentation
> for open-source projects which I *am* expert in.
>
> The existing documentation assumes a knowledgeable audience willing and
> able to puzzle things it out.

It is difficult for us to assemble documentation that describes how to
set up all of the services that Horde / IMP might possibly use (e.g.
Apache, PHP, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, OpenLDAP, Cyrus, UW-IMAP, just
to name a few of the "common" pieces of software).

> I do like the test.php pages.  Perhaps they can be improved on.  For
> example if something is missing, perhaps the test page can add a
> "Suggestions" link which points to a web-page that includes suggestions
> for how to fix the problem.  For example, if uploads don't work,
> a link could suggest that one needs to edit /etc/php.ini.

The FAQ (http://www.horde.org/faq/) covers those kinds of issues
rather well.

I apologize for being so blunt, but we're often criticized for
"lacking" documentation.  When one considers that there are only a few
of us here developing the project, and none of us are primarily
documentation writers, I think what we have is pretty good.

--
Jon Parise (jon@csh.rit.edu)  .  Information Technology (2001)