[imp] IMP LDAP warnings

Per Bothner per@bothner.com
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 17:59:54 -0700

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> However, everyone who keeps saying, for some reason, that we won't "catch
> on" because it's too difficult/whatever, needs to go have a chat with
> reality - Horde and IMP _have_ caught on. Solidly.

That's because it is a good implementation of the obviously "right"
way of handling web-mail.

But I don't believe it has "caught on".  There are many well-informed
people who haven't even heard of it.  I don't know about other
distributions, but it is not shipped with the latest version of Red Hat,
in spite of being a natural feature given Red Hat's server focus.

I haven't looked at the RPMs for the latest Horde/IMP versions, but
when I looked at them some months ago, they were pretty poor.  It just
installed the distribution under /var/www/html, but didn't do even the
most rudimentary set-up.

	--Per Bothner