[imp] Re: Upgrade from Older Versions

Thu, 20 Jun 2002 15:01:29 -0500

Quoting Diego Jose Varona Agredo <djvarona@usb.edu.co>:

> 	What happened with DataBase structure of horde and information
> 	when  is update from 1.2X to 2.1 Version ?
>
> 	The services will be affected ?

Okay.  You seem to think there is an automatic upgrade procedure perhaps?
There is no automatic upgrade procedure.  It is all done by hand.

You need to install and setup the new version of Horde/IMP/etc.  You can
leave the old one running, and set up the new one in a seperate directory
and url if you want.  In fact I recommend this.

Then you create the new database tables.  You don't use the old ones.  Again,
you can leave the old ones in place if you want and create the new ones.
In fact, you almost have to do this to migrate the data easily.  There are
scripts in the Horde/IMP/Turba distributions to create the new tables.

Once the new database tables are created, you can use the scripts I
previously mentioned to copy the data from the old database tables to
the new database tables.  You probably want to shutdown the old one at
this time, or at least post a notice that any changes (preferences,
address book items) made via the old version after that point will not
be transfered to the new version.

When I did my upgrade, I ran both versions until I was sure that the new
one was working and configured correctly.  I used different names for the
database tables (for the new ones I used horde2 instead of horde).  Then
when I was ready, I shut down the web server, copied the database contents
via the provided scripts, modified the web server configuration to point
at the new version, and restarted the web server.

I'm sending this to the Horde and IMP mailing lists to get it into the
archives, and so others can comment further on this if they want (or
correct me if I say anything wrong).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage