[imp] How do I install IMP

Miroslaw Jaworski mjaw@ipartners.pl
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:25:23 +0200

* Jonathan McKenzie (jonmck1234@hotmail.com) [020624 15:19] wrote:
> How do I install IMP?  Do I have to install it on the server, or can I
> just install it on my hosting space with FTP?  I have web space that I
> rent, but I want to be able to use IMP and not NEOMAIL.  I have NEOMAIL
> now.  Thanks!

It's technically possible to have it working just on your "account"
set on the ISP's hosting machine. However:
- IMP is database driven webapp - you need access to the database -
  most ISPs sell web services with database option
- your ISP's server configuration has to be appopiate
  - generally horde/IMP doesn't use strange or exotic things - for basic
    functionality almost all of them are a common set of options ISPs
    give to their users, BUT there is at least one specific option, which
    is needed on the server side - PHP built-in IMAP support. PHP is a
    scripting language, it's enabled on the ISP server; IMP uses functions
    which can be inaccessible in your ISP's current configuration.
    Another IMP options - for example spellchecking, Word and Excel
    files autoviewing also requires additional things on the ISP side.
    Pray for your ISP flexibility ;)
- remember IMP is just a way to READ email - IMP itself is not a mailsystem
  it doesn't contain user mailboxes. IMP is a mail-client - a program,
  which is used to GET ACCESS to the mailbox, to FETCH mail messages
  from mail server, where they're stored and, additionally, to SEND
  a new message. So even if you get the IMP working on your account,
  you still need a place where mailboxes you want to access are.

Generally - it's rather solution for an mail service administrator to
give to his users another way of accessing their emails.

MJ.

--
Miroslaw.Jaworski@ipartners.pl  ( Psyborg )  MJ102-RIPE  Internet Partners
Server Administration Department Manager