[imp] What should I throw at this problem ?

Nigel Cass N.Cass@Hull.ac.uk
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 16:56:17 +0100

Hi Everyone.
I am currently evaluating IMP for use as a web based interface for both
IMAP4 and IMAP2 based e-mail platforms. I have to say I am very
impressed with what I have working so far as a test solution. Using
latest stable release of horde, imp and turba with Mysql at the backend.

If we decide to roll out this solution for our entire organization. To
give an idea of the size we're probably talking about servicing up to
16000 different mailboxes and I guess we could expect perhaps 2000
concurrent connections to the IMP service.

I'm basically interested in the sort of setups you guys have got in
production. How many IMP servers are you using ? Mysql or ldap backends
? Dedicated Mysql/ldap server or not ? Server Hardware specs ? etc etc.

My main concern is specifying a system configuration that will be able
to provide an acceptable service. Obviously the beauty of IMP is that it
is easy to add extra servers in quickly but clearly it would be nice to
start from a position where we believe we can service our customers.

I am happy to summarise my replies to the list if people want me to ?

TYIA

Nigel Cass
Systems Engineer
University of Hull