[imp] Re: IMP problem

Mon, 8 Jul 2002 17:48:02 -0500

Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu>:

> Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter@physics.utexas.edu>:
>
> | 1) Document that IMP will fail when given bad MIME messages
>
> Technically speaking, this is not a bad MIME message.  It's just a badly
> formed MIME message for the sake of PGP encrypted messages.  It's malformed
> because it gives the MUA no information linking the two parts
> ('multipart/mixed' parts are completely independent of each other by RFC
> rule).

Okay, I understand now :)

> | 2) Try to make IMP fail somehow more gracefully when given bad MIME
> | messages.
>
> Once again - IMP rendered the message just fine; it's just that it was
> processing the signature with no data and didn't know the PGP signature
> went with the data.

It didn't render it just fine for me -- I just got a blank frame with nothing
in it.

> This may be the problem, by the way (I'm not sure why it would defang a
> multipart/encrypted message though):

> |         See http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~help/e-mail/security.html
> |         for details. $Revision: 1.129 $Date: 2001-04-14 20:20:43-07

Okay, I'll check into that to see if my defanging corrupted anything.

> Because I sincerely hope the new Mozilla...

> ...does not send out bad PGP messages.

Wouldn't surprise me if it did/could.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

harmless among the rank and file, but when management is afflicted the damage