[imp] Netscape 4.7x and IMP 3.1 bug? - FIX (STRANGE)

Tim Meader tmeader@cne-odin.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 15:05:41 -0400

Hello all,

This is just a suggestion, but I was wondering if you all have attempted to
use IMAP instead of POP as the preferred connection method? I was hesitant
to do this as well, since all of our users use POP here on center, but it
is actually extremely easy to setup both on the same machine. Currently we
have a single machine which acts as the IMP interface which then goes out
and gets mail from all of our other servers.  If you are worried about
users being able to connect via IMAP instead of POP, you can replace inetd
with xinetd and then using its rules you can limit IMAP access on your POP
servers to only the server with IMP on it. If you then simply set the
option to create folders to "false" in the IMP config, IMAP access will now
act exactly the same as POP access via IMP.  There is a simple option to
change in the imap src which will then force imapd to only operate on the
/var/mail/spool mail file instead of creating a separate mbox file in each
users directory. If you were using IMAP to begin with please disregard this
suggestion, but if not, might I suggest you try this, as we have been using
IMP 3.1 with Horde 2.1 and UW IMAP 2001a  for several months (with Netscape
4.7 on the VAST majority of user machines) with ZERO issues.

At 12:33 PM 7/17/2002 -0700, Peter Sanchez wrote:
>Any idea on whats causing it. Im a lil worried as well cause we have had
>users in the past (with previous versions of IMP) complain about IMP
>deleting messages it wasnt supposed to. It looks like this is the fix
>for it, now uncommenting it exposes them to the previous bug. There has
>got to be something im missing somewhere that can fix this. I tried
>doing a straight header("Location:
>http://www.domain.com/horde/imp/mailbox.php"); instead of the one in the
>code but I get the same issue. Any more ideas?
>
>Peter
>
>On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 02:24:05PM -0400, Allan Wagers wrote:
> > I have the same problem with IE 6.0
> >
> > Quoting Peter Sanchez <psanchez@nmia.com>:
> >
> > > Hrmm, if I comment out the if() statement on line 153 of mailbox.php it
> > > fixes the issue I stated below. Here is my current
> > > 'case DELETE_MESSAGES:' code:
> > >
> > >  case DELETE_MESSAGES:
> > >      if (!empty($indices)) {
> > >          IMP_Message::delete($indices);
> > >          // For POP3, redirect so that refreshing the page doesn't
> > >          // delete more messages accidentally.
> > >          /*if ($imp['base_protocol'] == 'pop3') {
> > >              header('Location: ' . Horde::applicationUrl('mailbox.php'));
> > >              exit;
> > >          }*/
> > >      }
> > >      break;
> > >
> > > It has fixed my last and (hopefully) final bug. Strange how it only
> > > effected Netscape 4.7x though. Oh well. If anyone has any other ideas or
> > > input please let me know. Thanks!
> > >
> > > Peter

> issue. We
> (POP3). It

> to be

> > Floyd A. Wagers CCNA
> > Joyce / Dayton Corp.
> > Network/PC Manager
>
>--

---
Tim Meader
ACS Government Services, Inc. - (301) 286-8013
tmeader@cne-odin.gsfc.nasa.gov
This is just a suggestion, but I was wondering if you all have attempted
to use IMAP instead of POP as the preferred connection method? I was
hesitant to do this as well, since all of our users use POP here on
center, but it is actually extremely easy to setup both on the same
machine. Currently we have a single machine which acts as the IMP
interface which then goes out and gets mail from all of our other
servers.&nbsp; If you are worried about users being able to connect via
IMAP instead of POP, you can replace inetd with xinetd and then using its
rules you can limit IMAP access on your POP servers to only the server
with IMP on it. If you then simply set the option to create folders to
&quot;false&quot; in the IMP config, IMAP access will now act exactly the
same as POP access via IMP.&nbsp; There is a simple option to change in
the imap src which will then force imapd to only operate on the
/var/mail/spool mail file instead of creating a separate mbox file in
each users directory. If you were using IMAP to begin with please
disregard this suggestion, but if not, might I suggest you try this, as
we have been using IMP 3.1 with Horde 2.1 and UW IMAP 2001a&nbsp; for
several months (with Netscape 4.7 on the VAST majority of user machines)
with ZERO issues.<br><br>
At 12:33 PM 7/17/2002 -0700, Peter Sanchez wrote:<br>
lil worried as well cause we have had<br>
users in the past (with previous versions of IMP) complain about=20
IMP<br>
deleting messages it wasnt supposed to. It looks like this is the
fix<br>
for it, now uncommenting it exposes them to the previous bug. There
has<br>
got to be something im missing somewhere that can fix this. I tried<br>
doing a straight header(&quot;Location:<br>
ttp://www.domain.com/horde/imp/mailbox.php</a>&quot;);
instead of the one in the<br>
code but I get the same issue. Any more ideas?<br><br>
Peter<br><br>
On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 02:24:05PM -0400, Allan Wagers wrote:<br>
&gt; I have the same problem with IE 6.0<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Quoting Peter Sanchez &lt;psanchez@nmia.com&gt;:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; Hrmm, if I comment out the if() statement on line 153 of
mailbox.php it<br>
&gt; &gt; fixes the issue I stated below. Here is my current <br>
&gt; &gt; 'case DELETE_MESSAGES:' code:<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt;&nbsp; case DELETE_MESSAGES:<br>
&gt; &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; if (!empty($indices)) {<br>
&gt; &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
IMP_Message::delete($indices);<br>
&gt; &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; // For
POP3, redirect so that refreshing the page doesn't<br>
&gt; &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; // delete
more messages accidentally.<br>
&gt; &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; /*if
($imp['base_protocol'] =3D=3D 'pop3') {<br>
&gt;
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;
header('Location: ' . Horde::applicationUrl('mailbox.php'));<br>
&gt;
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
&nbsp;
exit;<br>
&gt; &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; }*/<br>
&gt; &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; }<br>
&gt; &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; break;<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; It has fixed my last and (hopefully) final bug. Strange how it
only<br>
&gt; &gt; effected Netscape 4.7x though. Oh well. If anyone has any other
ideas or<br>
&gt; &gt; input please let me know. Thanks!<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; Peter<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 10:59:31AM -0700, Peter Sanchez
wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; I upgraded to IMP 3.1 yesterday and have stumbled onto a
weird issue. We<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; are running IMP 3.1, Horde 2.1 and Turba 1.1, qmail and
cucipop (POP3). It<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; seems when using Netscape 4.7x and you try to delete a
message netscape<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; responds with the error &quot;Document contains no data,
contact the server<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; admin&quot; or &quot;Document is of 0 length, contact the
server admin&quot; depending<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; on the version. The email actually does get deleted
however.<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; I have verified my users report of this on Windows 98/2K
and FreeBSD<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; 4.6-STABLE. If I logout and relogin using internet
explorer I have NO<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; issues. Same for Netscape 6 or Mozilla, no issues at all.
It seems to be<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; an issue on in Netscape 4.7x. Has anyone seen this? It
only started<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; after the upgrade to 3.1. I (like always) kept a backup of
the old 3.0<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; install and put it back and tested.. worked fine.. put
back the 3.1<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; install and the same issue. Any ideas?<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; Peter<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; -- <br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; IMP mailing list<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; Frequently Asked Questions:
 eudora=3D"autourl">http://horde.org/faq/</a><br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; To unsubscribe, mail:=20
imp-unsubscribe@lists.horde.org<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>