[imp] Permformance issue

Terry Poperszky Terry.Poperszky@SosStaffing.com
Wed, 17 Jul 2002 14:21:15 -0600

Ok, running SuSE 8.0 and WU IMAP (Mbox), I was able to open a directory with
800 emails in about 4 seconds. I think indicates that the slowness was due
to accessing Exchange through IMAP.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Terry Poperszky MCSE, CCNA
Network Manager
SOS Staffing Services
801-257-5706
Terry.Poperszky@SosStaffing.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Rostetter [mailto:eric.rostetter@physics.utexas.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 4:51 PM
To: Terry Poperszky
Subject: RE: [imp] Permformance issue

Quoting Terry Poperszky <Terry.Poperszky@SosStaffing.com>:

> Still pointing to the Exchange server via IMAP. Initial opening of a mail
> box with 563 messages was 45 seconds, subsequent refreshes took about 8-10
> seconds. Based on what I have been reading in the list this is not normal.

No, that is not normal!  I certainly would not be happy with that kind
of performance!  (I would say anything more than 4 seconds is out of the
questions, unless you're half-way across the world...)

But, to answer your other question now: No, that kind of speed issue is
not inherent in Horde/IMP.  There is something else coming into play.

Check your setting in horde/imp/conf.php where it says something about
"show attachments" and notes that it is a performance hit.  Turn that
off if it isn't, but it should be off by default.  (I actually have it
on in my setting, but that's another issue).

> The moves between pages do not seem to be significantly delayed, only when
> accessing the mail server, so that is where I'll start.

Unfortunately IMP hits the IMAP server a lot.  Since there are no
persistent IMAP sessions in PHP, IMP hits the server for just about
every page for authentication.

If you are not seeing slowdowns when switching between pages that don't
retrieve a message or do a folder lookup, then you can elinimate a lot
of possible problems.  As that would mean the connection to the IMAP server
and the authentication to the IMAP server are working at a reasonable speed.
So the slowness would be in the message/folder access, not the machine
access or authentication process.

You might compare the speed of folder operations (the Folder View) versus
message operations (the Message View or viewing a message) and see if you
can determine if the folders are the/an issue or not.  If the folders seem
slow, it may be a configuration option in IMP...

> I am currently
> building the IMAP installation on the sendmail box and will compare access
> times once it is up and running. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Will be interesting to see what you come up with in that test.

There are also php accellerators you can use to speed up Horde/IMP.  But
they will not help in your situation.  After you get Horde/IMP working
at a reasonable speed, then you can consider things like PHP accellerators,
ssl accellerators, etc.

> Terry Poperszky MCSE, CCNA
> Network Manager
> SOS Staffing Services