[imp] older browsers and auto_expand...

liamr@umich.edu liamr@umich.edu
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 20:54:03 -0400

Hey guys -

I *think* I've got the automatic name expansion stuff from HEAD working w/
RELENG3.  We're trying to figure out how to hide it from older browsers
(netscape 4.x, which still has a presence on campus..) and new browsers that
just can't handle the iframs and / or javascript (for example, OmniWeb for
MacOSX).

On both NS4 and OmniWeb, the users see the red "Expanding names..." text at
*all times* when in the message composition screen:

    http://www-personal.umich.edu/~liamr/horde/expanding.gif

At the very least, we need to hide the red words.  Maybe even notify users
with these browsers that auto expandsion won't work for them (and disallow it
in the preferences screen).  How do we identify the effected browsers?  MSIE
and Mozilla with a major version number >= 5?  Is anyone else working on this?

thx
Liam