[imp] IMP and POP Interaction and Performance

Mohamed M. Abbas mmabbas@longwood.edu
15 Aug 2002 16:27:03 -0400

Hello All,

I've been testing IMP the past couple days, for possible deployement at
my university, and I've had some performance issues with it as it it
relates to POP. For some reason, it takes a long time to display an
inbox. It does not really matter what the size of the inbox is, it takes
considerably longer than "netscape mail" client (on the same machine)
configured to leave mail on the server. Could someone explain to me why
that is happening and tell me a possible solution for this problem.. Any
help is greatly appreciated.

Here is my setup:

Hardware:
	Dell PowerEdge 2550
	Dual 1.4 Gig CPU's
	2 Gig of Ram
	100 GB of Raid5 Har Drive space.

Software:
RedHat Linux 7.3
Apache 1.3.23

Horde Versions
    * Horde: 2.1
    * IMP: 3.1
    * Accounts: 2.0
    * Passwd: 2.0
    * Vacation: 2.0
    * Forwards: 2.0

PHP Version
    * View phpinfo() screen
    * PHP Version: 4.1.2
    * PHP Major Version: 4.1
    * PHP Minor Version: 2
    * PHP Version Classification: release
    * You are running a supported version of PHP.

PHP Module Capabilities
    * FTP Support: Yes
    * Gettext Support: Yes
    * IMAP Support: Yes