[imp] soft failure of database for preference?

Sheeri Kritzer sheeri.kritzer@tufts.edu
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 14:44:50 -0400

so, we have this spiffy production webmail server, and a spiffy production
mysql server.  The problem is that if the mysql server goes down, webmail just
breaks.  Is there something we can implement so if the mysql server goes down
and someone is logged in, they just have no preferences?  (or is that what
happens already?)

Also, is there a way to change the error page from when someone tries to login

Basically, here's what I want to happen...

when mysql breaks:
logging in gives a custom error page
if someone's already logged in, they get a warning at the top of their page
saying something like "the preferences database is down, but everything else
works".  (and have that be true).

-Sheeri Kritzer
Systems Administrator
University Systems Group