[imp] Turba Shared Addressbook

Edwin Culp eculp@encontacto.net
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 09:35:02 -0700

Quoting Ed Geist <ejg@usnetway.com>:

 | Hi. Recently installed Horde and Imp and Turba 1.1.  I am using mysql as
 | authentication and database for user prefs and user contacts.. Would like to
 | have a global address book. So I installed openldap (as well as
 | BerkeleyDB.4.0) and am at a loss for how to set up the shared addressbook
 | via ldap.  Can someone help me or point me in the right direction?  I am a
 | newbie with ldap but learn fast. (Horde, Imp and Turba, as well as openldap
 | all functioning correctly at this point). Or is there another way to set up
 | a shared address book using mysql?
YMMV, but I have set up a simple shared address book based on email addresses
that isn't perfect but seems to get the job done plus allows for a corporate
address book based on the domain name.  It is all in the ldap structure.
I have the following:

o=domain.org
  ou=people,o=domain.org
    mail=youremail@domain.org,ou=people,o=domain.org
  ou=addressbook,o=domain.org
    mail=youremail@domain.org,ou=addressbook,o=domain.org
      mail=yourfriend@Friend.com,mail=yourmail@domain.org,ou=addressbook, \
      o=domain.org

The corporate directory uses the following in horde/turba/sources.php
        'filter' => 'mail=*@' . $vdomain
Which lists all with email @ a specific domain.
corporate root is:   'root' => 'ou=people,o=domain.org',

The private directory root is set as:
  'root' => 'mail=' . $usermail . ',ou=addressbook,o=domain.org',

Just so you know where the above variables come from:

$vdomain = strtolower(preg_replace('|^mail\.|i', '', $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']));
$usermail=Auth::getAuth();
$uid = preg_replace('|@.*|i', '', $usermail);
$pass=Auth::getCredential('password');

I use the above $usermail and $pass for binding rather than binding as root.
I also use restrictive acl's in slapd.conf to keep the directory private.

I hope that I haven't forgotten something and that this helps get you started.
As you make a more efficient and bullet proof solution, please share it with
the list.

ed