[imp] Re: Question with regard to apache and php for IMP

Scott McDermott mcdermot@questra.com
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 16:49:14 -0400

horde user on Wed  4/09 13:41 -0700:
> On the other hand, I've often had problems getting everyone to play
> nicely together and have had to resort to static linking of my apache
> server.  The symptoms are that some symbol isn't found by the dynamic
> linker when apache is started.

just do one or a combination of the following:

        - hardcode the path to the lib with -Wl,-rpath at compile-time
          of the shared object by editing the linker flags (PHP happens
          to get this right automatically in most cases anyways)

        - use your runtime linker configuration file to get the order
          right and make sure all necessary paths for your libs are
          found

        - set LD_LIBRARY_PATH appropriately and export it, when invoking
          the Apache executable

making everything static just generates a lot of extra work for you,
IMO, every time some module has a security problem or requires upgrade.