[imp] Running HEAD and production side-by-side...

Rick Emery rick@emery.2y.net
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 08:32:42 -0400

I'll apologize in advance, because I don't know if this is the right forum for this
question, and don't know whether this has been asked or not (I went to search the
list archives, but there are so many lists and I wasn't sure what to enter for search
criteria).

I'm currently running the latest production applications (Horde 2.1, Imp 3.1, Turba,
Kronolith, Mnemo, and Nag). Everything is running well, and I love what the
developers have done with it.

On this list, I keep seeing postings about new features in HEAD that I wanted to try,
and I started to wonder why I couldn't run both HEAD and the production versions on
the same server. My idea was to rename (mv) the existing horde directory to horde21,
then use cvs to get HEAD versions of everything.

My question is, other than changing webroot and the cookie path, are there any other
caveats I need to know about? One that I came up with last night was the preferences
database. I'm currently using mysql. Have the tables changed? Would I need to run new
database scripts, and if so, would that break my old preferences? This one isn't a
show stopper; I have both postgresql and mysql installed, so I could continue to use
mysql for the production stuff and postgresql for the HEAD stuff.

But it's got me wondering if there's anything else I should be concerned with, and
are there workarounds.

Is anybody doing this now, and if so what advice can you offer?

Thanks in advance,
Rick