How to crash IMP (was Re: [imp] redirect.php error & login failure- data dependent?)

Jeff Tucker jefft@wciatl.com
Mon, 09 Sep 2002 22:25:20 -0400

--On Friday, September 06, 2002 3:26 PM -0400 Steve Lidie <sol0@Lehigh.EDU>
wrote:

> On Friday, Sep 6, 2002, at 15:15 US/Eastern, Jeremy Freeman wrote:
>
>> I seem to be maybe having a similar problem. I have one user who
>> cannot view her INBOX. Whenever she attempts to view it the Apache
>> child segfaults. She can view any other box however.
>
> Then do a binary search deleting mail until you find the offending
> message (;  Better, look at the headers for control characters such as
> newlines (and, here a control-p), or mis-placed semi-colons, etc. In my
> case, it was the To field ..

In my situation, it was because Courier IMAP had a bug handing some invalid
characters in the Big-5 Chinese charset. If you're using Courier IMAP and
it's older than six months old, this is likely your problem. The symptoms
for me were that the messages were undisplayable in IMP but worked fine in
other IMAP clients. The Courier author confirmed the bug and there's a note
in the changelog from when he fixed it.

Jeff

--
Jeff Tucker