[imp] Running HEAD and production side-by-side...

Rick Emery rick@emery.2y.net
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 10:00:31 -0400

Quoting Jeff Tucker <jefft@wciatl.com>:

> --On Friday, September 06, 2002 8:32 AM -0400 Rick Emery
> <rick@emery.2y.net> wrote:
>

> > My question is, other than changing webroot and the cookie path, are
> > there any other caveats I need to know about? One that I came up with
> > last night was the preferences database. I'm currently using mysql. Have
> > the tables changed? Would I need to run new database scripts, and if so,
> > would that break my old preferences? This one isn't a show stopper; I
> > have both postgresql and mysql installed, so I could continue to use
> > mysql for the production stuff and postgresql for the HEAD stuff.
> >

> There is one thing that I know of. The new IMP uses a new format for how it
> stores filter values in the database. Apparently when you login to the new
> IMP, all your filters are converted from the old style to the new style.
> However, on logging back in to the old IMP, you now get errors on the
> screen if you have set the system to run the filters when you login or when
> the screen refreshes. They don't appear to hurt anything, but if you don't
> want your users seeing errors, make sure that once they login to the new
> IMP system, they stay there.
>
> Jeff

OK, thanks. What I ended up doing was using postgresql as the database for
HEAD, and continuing to use mysql as the database for production. This seemed
to be the easiest way to do it for now.

All of this is made much easier by the fact that I'm the only one using the
system right now (running it at home) :-)

Thanks again for your reply.
Rick