[imp] Session Keys in URL

Nigel Cass N.Cass@Hull.ac.uk
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 16:07:48 +0100

I have my webmail set up such that http://webmail/ goes directly to
/usr/local/apache/htdocs/horde/imp and I have cookie path set to '/'

At first entry to the system i.e accessing http://webmail/ a url is
thrown up something along the lines of
http://webmail/horde/imp/login.php?Horde=<sesskey>

Then when the user logs in the session key disappears from the URL
normally (although not always it should be mentioned.) which I would
kinda expect.

However when you go into for e.g turba - certain operations seem to
bring back the session key in the URL etc.

What I am particularly worried about is people bookmarking URLS with
session keys in them and then being able to use that bookmark
weeks/months later and ending up using a session key that has by now
been given to someone else and thus ending up with someone elses mail.

I am using session cookies (valid for the lifetime of the browser) which
should offer some protection against people inheriting the sessions of
others. But since we launch on Monday I am now getting a little
paranoid.

I would be grateful if someone could explain what I can do to avoid
this. (if possible) Or maybe let me know if I'm doing something a little
dumb or I'm not understanding sessions properly ?

How do other people get around these problems ??

Nigel Cass