[imp] PGP support in IMP and other email clients

admin@canc.rpa.cs.nsw.gov.au admin@canc.rpa.cs.nsw.gov.au
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:08:16 +1000

Hi,

I've been using Horde for a month or so now and it's certainly some piece of
work! The best opensource groupware suite I've seen so far.

Anyway, I've been searching through the mailing list archives and couldn't find
anything related to a problem I've got. So, I'm not sure if it's been addressed
already or not.

I've been using the latest cvs code for the purposes of getting PGP working.
I've sent a friend an encrypted email twice and then sent him a 3rd plain text
email asking if he got the previous 2 emails. He said he did, but, they came up
as empty PGP attachments. I thought it strange because the encrypted emails I
sent to myself in IMP I could decrypt and read fine. I tried to read the same
emails in Mozilla Messenger and the messages came up as blank. It wasn't until I
looked at the "message source" that I saw the PGP encrypted message. My guess is
that it's related to the "application/pgp" MIME type not being understood by
other email clients.

Normally, my friend sends his PGP emails as plain text encrypted from his
clipboard, no fancy MIME encoding. The whole MIME types thing is a bit beyond
me, but, I wonder why IMP needs to MIME encode the PGP data when it's already in
text format. Perhaps a checkbox could be added to compose.php to send emails
without any MIME-encoding with PGP. I guess the gotcha with this is that it
would break IMP's ability to extract PGP data and decrypt it from received
messages in a decent fashion.

Cheers,

--
Adam Armstrong
Network Manager

This message is intended for the addressee(s) named and may contain confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy it and notify the sender.  Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital or Sydney Cancer Centre.