[imp] pointing session.save_path at an NFS volume

Jeff Tucker jeff@jltnet.com
Sun Oct 13 03:17:20 PDT 2002

Hi,

Is there any reason I can't change my session.save_path in PHP to point to
a directory which is NFS mounted from somewhere else? The reason for doing
this is to allow multiple webservers using IMP to share sessions. Now, if a
user hits a different webserver than they previously were on, their session
times out.

I know the "right" solution is to handle sessions using a database. This
appears to involve writing or downloading a bunch of PHP code from no real
official source and possibly involves modifying Horde source files. If I'm
wrong and someone can point me to an authoritative reference, please do so.
However, all my IMAP servers access user accounts across NFS. It seems to
me that putting the sessions on NFS, too, would be a very small performance
hit.

BTW, I tried simply pointing my session.save_path at an NFS-mounted
directory and apache wouldn't start. I'm pretty confident that it wasn't a
permissions problem, as I changed the directory to 777 permissions for
testing. So I guess the second half of my question is how to make this work.

Thanks
Jeff

--
Jeff Tucker