[imp] Folders with "." in their Name

Ryan Gallagher ryan at studiesabroad.com
Tue Oct 15 00:16:55 PDT 2002

Quoting Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:

> Quoting Ryan Gallagher <ryan at studiesabroad.com>:

> > Does IMP give you the full path under other IMAP backends?
>
> I think that is configurable via the imp/config/servers.php file.  To wit,
> from that file:
>
>  * namespace: This is where you put any paths that you want stripped
>  * out for presentation purposes (i.e., you don't want your users to
>  * have to know that their personal folders are actually subfolders of
>  * their INBOX). A common value for this with Cyrus-style IMAP servers
>  * is 'INBOX.'. NOTE: If you have shared folders, using this may
>  * create confusion between shared folders and personal folders, if
>  * users have folders with the same name as a shared folder.
>  *
>
> So you can control the path displayed, to some extent, via this parameter.
> Since this appears to be a static string, however, it wouldn't be useful
> for hiding user inputed paths...  So I guess it isn't of relavence here.
> And without it, yes, it should return the entire path (perhaps excluding the
> "folders" prefix also set in servers.php).

Thanks, I was curious about the behavior in other mailers too :)

Ahh yes, but that only helps with root(ish) folders that are common to all
users.  I'm refering to the entire path (mostly user created) up to the folder
being edited.

INBOX.MyLists.Horde.IMP.foo.bar

I want my re-name dialog to only show "bar".

And be given some other tool for moving mailboxes around. ;)

Or, who knows, maybe most of what i'm seeing is a Cyrus specific IMP behavior
and you physically can't move mailboxes around in other mailers because they
only provide one level of depth?

It seems to me that IMP should be aware of the structure of the mailbox, and
only rename the leaf node (mailbox) rather than allow you to manipulate the
whole path.  As Outlook/Netscape etc etc behave (even against a Cyrus backend).
 I'm wondering how they got around this issue.

> > I'm not sure if Cyrus should be configured to use a less common delim
>
> It seems that no matter what you choose, someone will try to use it at
> some point, so this would not solve the problem (but might lessen its
> occurance).

Agree, it would just crop up again, possibly in an uglier form.

We mainly brought this up because a user pointed out that IMP didn't have the
ability to elegantly "move" mailboxes about within your structure.

I said, yeah IT DOES, well sort-kinda, through a weird quirky misuse of the
"rename" option.  And, I posted when i realized none of our users would EVER
understand how to move folders around this way. ;)

--
Ryan T. Gallagher
ryan at studiesabroad.com