[imp] Problem with quotes in name (Imp 3.1)

Michael M Slusarz slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu
Thu Oct 24 04:39:23 2002

Quoting Viljo Viitanen <vviitane+mail.imp@mappi.helsinki.fi>:

| The problem is: if I put quotes in my name in imp (like Viljo "Something"
| Viitanen), really bad things happen. In my environment with the real
| sendmail as mta, the mail gets sent without a from field.
|
| I tracked this down to PEAR Mail_RFC822::parseAddressList which the PEAR
| Sendmail function uses (which is used by Imp). It completely fails to
| parse the address if it is of the form "Viljo \"Something\" Viitanen"
| <foo@bar>. What is strange however, is that "\"Viljo\" Viitanen"
| <foo@bar> parses okay.

This is expected behavior.  IMP treats everything between quotes as a name,
and everything outside of the quotes as the email address.  You must escape
internal quotes (with the /" notations) to indicate that you are not ending
the name.

michael

Michael Slusarz [slusarz@bigworm.colorado.edu]
The University of Colorado at Boulder