[imp] Re: [horde] IMP & PHP Speed Improvements

Jon Parise jon@horde.org
Sat Oct 26 02:37:09 2002

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 09:31:19PM -0400, Luis Hernandez wrote:

> We are using IMP at our institution under Solaris 8 and Apache 1.3.9. What can
> be done to improve the speed of PHP and IMP? We are not experiencing any
> problems in speed right now, but since IMP is written in PHP (interpreted
> language), we do notice the difference in speed than with a simple HTML web page.

There are a number of things that can be investigated.  You'll
probably find a lot of good material by searching around the mailing
list archives.

For example, you may find your bottlenecks in the session handling
system or in database performance for user preferances.  IMAP may also
be slow.

> Does anyone have input on whether Zend Accelerator would improve performance?

I've never actually used it, but if you want to play with the idea of
using a PHP cache or accelerator, there are a number of free open
source implementations available.

> Luis O. Hernandez, Webmaster
> Ringling School of Art and Design

I met a few Ringling students when I was working at Electronic Arts
this past summer.  It sounds like a neat school. =)

--
Jon Parise (jon@horde.org) :: The Horde Project (http://horde.org/)