[imp] Re: [horde] IMP & PHP Speed Improvements

Mark Lucas mark@mlucas.net
Sat Oct 26 21:32:51 2002

Thanks for this. The spped increase is HUGE!!!

    Mark

Mark Lucas
Tel: (01323) 483259
Mob: (07788) 100757
Fax: (01323) 483305

Quoting Nate Mollring <nmollring@cennecs.org>:

> http://www.php-accelerator.co.uk/  helped both my Horde installs.  Pages are
>
> served quicker and server load is much less.  I have a 150+ users on the
> production server.  From the site:
>
> "Every time a PHP script is accessed, the PHP engine must open the script
> file
> and read, parse, and compile the file contents into a compiled form. Only
> then
> can the compiled code be executed. With scripts often including other
> scripts,
> this work can become a significant part of the overall time to deliver a
> page.
> It can also impact I/O performance, and require much dynamic memory
> allocation
> that in itself can be time consuming.
>
> The reality, however, is that most PHP scripts never change from one access
> the next; indeed they may never change for weeks, months, or even years. The
>
> Accelerator works to eliminate the penalty of processing scripts that never
>
> change, and by caching the compiled scripts in shared memory, delivers
> significant performance gains as a result. Note that this is very different
> caching script output. PHPA doesn't do this, scripts remain fully dynamic,
> and
> if they do change then PHPA caches a new version - they just run faster!
>
> So by caching, the Accelerator eliminates:
>

> reading of source code
> parsing of source code
> compiled code generation
> many memory allocation and copying operations
> disk related operations
> Once script execution has completed, compiled versions of any new or modified
>
> scripts are immediately cached on disk for later reuse. This guarantees good
>
> acceleration, but scripts are then cached in shared memory, and offering the
>
> maximum performance gains.
> The Accelerator has one other performance enhancing feature - a built-in code
>
> optimiser. Although in it's early stages, the optimiser reduces the size of
>
> compiled code and improves the code by removing unnecessary operations.
>
> So in summary, by aggressively removing operations causing performance
> overhead, the Accelerator is able to deliver performance rivalling the very
>
> best alternatives, and for free! "
>
> Hope this helps,
> Nate

        St John's Church, Polegate - Making Disciples of Jesus Christ

This email is intended solely for the addressee and is strictly confidential.
If you are not the addressee, please do not read, print, transmit, store or
act in reliance on it or any attachments. Instead, please delete the message
from your computer.

St John's Church accepts no liability for changes made to this email (and any
attachments) after it was sent, or for viruses arising as a result of this
email transmission.

Any unauthorised reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification,
distribution and/or publication of this email message is strictly prohibited.