[imp] multiple IMP front ends?

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck@horde.org
Fri Nov 1 04:17:44 PST 2002

Quoting "John H. Yates" <yates@sas.upenn.edu>:

> Has anyone implemented IMP on multiple front ends to distribute load
> (and also for redundancy). We already have it running on one machine
> pointing it to IMAP mail folders on another machine.

I know of several people doing it, and I'm sure there are many more.

> Does IMP have any built in "hooks" for doing multiple front ends like
> this? We would like to use the round robin DNS lookup feature that
> alternately points to two (or more) machines making the fact that
> there are multiple machines transparent to the end user.

HEAD has a session handling API built in so that you can share a sessions db
between machines, but you don't need much more, and you can do that with
RELENG_* yourself quite easily.

> Will this be problematic because of the statelessness of the web? If
> so, can that be surmounted?

You need to have a common session store, or to have a sticky load balancer.
Either one works just fine.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
"People ask me all the time what it will be like living without otters."