[imp] Installation of IMP3.1 on Redhat Linux 8.0

Parag Godkar paragg@konark.ncst.ernet.in
Fri Nov 1 10:51:07 PST 2002

I have successfully installed IMP3.1
on RedHat Linux 8.0 with apache 2.0.x,
php 4.2.x and Mysql with some changes
required during installation. I thought
I would share this with the IMP community.

1. Required RPMs ( present on RH 8.0 CD )
httpd-2.0.40-8 ( apache version 2 )
db4-4.0.14-14
compat-db-3.3.11-2
expat-1.95.4-1
freetype-2.1.2-7
libtool-libs-1.4.2-12
libtool-libs13-1.3.5-5
libxml2-2.4.23-1
openssl-0.9.6b-29
openssl096-0.9.6-11
openssl095a-0.9.5a-16
php-4.2.2-8.0.5

2. IMAP ( present on RH 8.0 CD )
imap-2001a-15
php-imap-4.2.2-8.0.5

3. MySQL ( present on RH 8.0 CD )
mysql-3.23.52-3
mysql-server-3.23.52-3
mysql-devel-3.23.52-3
php-mysql-4.2.2-8.0.5

4. Horde RPMs
horde-2.1-3
imp-3.1-2
kronolith-1.0-2
mnemo-1.0-1
nag-1.0-1

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS -
1. The installation of all rpms is the same except
for Horde rpms.
This is because the horde rpms look for ( depend on )
apache >= 1.3.x and apache 2.x is now called httpd 2.x.
So we install horde rpms in the following manner -

rpm -ivh horde-2.1-3.noarch.rpm --nodeps
( ie: we don't check for dependencies )

Similarly install the rest of the horde rpms.

2. Opening horde/test.php in browser shows two errors -
   1) short_open_tag is not enabled.
      Solution - Enable it in /etc/php.ini as follows -
                    short_open_tag = On

   2) Latest PEAR is present but Log class is absent.
      Solution - The PEAR that comes with php-4.2.2-8.0.5
                 does not have Log class.
                 So we must extract it from the php rpm
                 provided by horde - php-4.1.2-0horde1.i386.rpm.
                 Download this rpm from horde ftp site.
                 Now open mc ( Midnight Commander ) or
                 install it if you don't have it
                 ( mc-4.5.55-12*.rpm -- present on RH 8.0 CD )
                 NOTE - mc should be run only from the console
                 of server and not from any telnet or ssh
                 window.
                 Browse to the php*horde1*.rpm. Open it
                 and copy Log.php and Log folder to /usr/share/
                 pear/.

3. Ensure that httpd and mysqld are up and running
   and then try running IMP. It should be running
   without any problems.

Regards,
Parag Godkar